Subject: Re: [ietf-types] Registration of media typeimage/svg+xml
From: "Martin J. Dürst" <[email-masked]>
To: Chris Lilley <[email-masked]>
Cc: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 16:39:14 +0900
List-Id: <ietf-xml-mime.imc.org>

Hello Chris, others,

I'm glad to confirm that I'm extremely happy with your new wording.

And I strictly promise I won't find any new hair in the soup anymore.

Regards,    Martin.

On 2010/12/07 23:52, Chris Lilley wrote:
> On Thursday, November 25, 2010, 7:30:41 AM, Martin wrote:
>
> MJD>  What about:
>
> MJD>  Fragment Identifiers
>
> MJD>  For documents labeled as application/svg+xml, the fragment
> MJD>  identifier notation follows the XML Pointer Language (XPointer)
> MJD>  Framework (see http://www.w3.org/TR/xptr-framework/). Fragment
> MJD>  identifiers are either Shorthand Pointers (formerly called barenames) or
> MJD>  SVG view specifications. For details, please see Section 17.3.2 of the
> MJD>  SVG specification
> MJD>  (http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/linking.html#SVGFragmentIdentifiers).
>
>
> MJD>  or some such.
>
> I looked into this. At first, I was going to normatively reference XPointer Framework as you suggested.
>
> However, the SVG WG had made a decision not to reference XPointer (superceeded) and not to reference XPointer Framework either, partly because of concerns over the scope of the conformance criteria
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xptr-framework/#conformance
> and also because this is not in any case needed just to define barenames.
>
> So I have added adapted wording:
>
>
>      Fragment Identifiers
>
>          For documents labeled as application/svg+xml, the
>          fragment identifier notation is either Shorthand Pointers
>          (formerly called barenames) or the SVG-specific SVG Views
>          syntax;
>          http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/linking.html#LinksIntoSVG
>          both described in the fragment identifiers section of the
>          SVG specification.
>          http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/linking.html#SVGFragmentIdentifiers
>
>
>   >>>  Published specification:
>
>   >>>  This media type registration is extracted from Appendix P of the
>   >>>  SVG 1.1 specification.
>   >>>  http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/mimereg.html
>
> MJD>  First, we made some tweaks, and second, the published specification is
> MJD>  all of SVG 1.1, not just the mimereg part, as far as I understand.
>
> Also fixed; both Appendix P and the spec as a whole are separately referenced.
>
> Published specification:
>
>      This media type registration is extracted from Appendix P
>      http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/mimereg.html
>      of the SVG 1.1 specification.
>      http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/
>

-- 
#-# Martin J. Dürst, Professor, Aoyama Gakuin University
#-# http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp   mailto:[email-masked]

From: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>, Philippe Le Hegaret <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 09:10:56 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [ietf-types] Registration of media typeimage/svg+xml
To: Chris Lilley <[email-masked]>
Sender: [email-masked]

This looks ready to go to me.

				Ned

> This is an updated and final registration request, incorporating the latest round of feedback. Philippe, this is ready to go to the IESG now.

> Type name:

>     image

> Subtype name:

>     svg+xml

> Required parameters:

>     None.

> Optional parameters:

>     charset

>     Same as application/xml media type, as specified in [RFC3023] or
>     its successors.

> Encoding considerations:

>     Same as for application/xml. See [RFC3023], section 3.2 or its
>     successors.

> Security considerations:

>     As with other XML types and as noted in [RFC3023] section 10,
>     repeated expansion of maliciously constructed XML entities can be
>     used to consume large amounts of memory, which may cause XML
>     processors in constrained environments to fail.

>     Several SVG elements may cause arbitrary URIs to be referenced. In
>     this case, the security issues of [RFC3986], section 7, should be
>     considered.

>     In common with HTML, SVG documents may reference external media
>     such as images, audio, video, style sheets, and scripting
>     languages. Scripting languages are executable content. In this
>     case, the security considerations in the Media Type registrations
>     for those formats shall apply.

>     In addition, because of the extensibility features for SVG and of
>     XML in general, it is possible that "image/svg+xml" may describe
>     content that has security implications beyond those described
>     here. However, if the processor follows only the normative
>     semantics of the published specification, this content will be
>     outside the SVG namespace and shall be ignored. Only in the case
>     where the processor recognizes and processes the additional
>     content, or where further processing of that content is dispatched
>     to other processors, would security issues potentially arise. And
>     in that case, they would fall outside the domain of this
>     registration document.

> Interoperability considerations:

>     The published specification describes processing semantics that
>     dictate behavior that must be followed when dealing with, among
>     other things, unrecognized elements and attributes, both in the
>     SVG namespace and in other namespaces.

>     Because SVG is extensible, conformant "image/svg+xml" processors
>     must expect that content received is well-formed XML, but it
>     cannot be guaranteed that the content is valid to a particular DTD
>     or Schema or that the processor will recognize all of the elements
>     and attributes in the document.

>     SVG has a published Test Suite and associated implementation
>     report showing which implementations passed which tests at the
>     time of the report. This information is periodically updated as
>     new tests are added or as implementations improve.

> Published specification:

>     This media type registration is extracted from Appendix P
>     http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/mimereg.html
>     of the SVG 1.1 specification.
>     http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/
    
> Applications that use this media type:

>     SVG is used by Web browsers, often in conjunction with HTML; by
>     mobile phones and digital cameras, as a format for interchange of
>     graphical assets in desk top publishing, for industrial process
>     visualization, display signage, and many other applications which
>     require scalable static or interactive graphical capability.

> Additional information:

>     Magic number(s):

>     File extension(s):
>         svg

>         Note that the extension 'svgz' is used as an alias for
>         'svg.gz' [RFC1952], i.e. octet streams of type image/svg+xml,
>         subsequently compressed with gzip.

>     Macintosh file type code(s):

>         "svg " (all lowercase, with a space character as the fourth letter).

>         Note that the Macintosh file type code 'svgz' (all lowercase)
>         is used as an alias for GZIP [RFC1952] compressed "svg ", i.e.
>         octet streams of type image/svg+xml, subsequently compressed
>         with gzip.

>     Macintosh Universal Type Identifier code:

>         org.w3c.svg conforms to public.image and to public.xml

>     Windows Clipboard Name:

>         "SVG Image"

>     Fragment Identifiers

>         For documents labeled as application/svg+xml, the
>         fragment identifier notation is either Shorthand Pointers
>         (formerly called barenames) or the SVG-specific SVG Views
>         syntax;
>         http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/linking.html#LinksIntoSVG
>         both described in the fragment identifiers section of the
>         SVG specification.
>         http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/linking.html#SVGFragmentIdentifiers

> Person & email address to contact for further information:

>     Chris Lilley, Doug Schepers ([email-masked]).

> Intended usage:

>     COMMON

> Restrictions on usage:

>     None

> Author:

>     The SVG specification is a work product of the World Wide Web
>     Consortium's SVG Working Group.

> Change controller:

>     The W3C has change control over this specification.

> --
>  Chris Lilley   Technical Director, Interaction Domain
>  W3C Graphics Activity Lead, Fonts Activity Lead
>  Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG
>  Member, CSS, WebFonts, SVG Working Groups

> _______________________________________________
> ietf-types mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-types

Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 15:52:19 +0100
From: Chris Lilley <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: Chris Lilley <[email-masked]>
Organization: W3C
To: "=?iso-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_J._D=FCrst=22?=" <[email-masked]>
CC: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [ietf-types] Registration of media typeimage/svg+xml
Sender: [email-masked]

On Thursday, November 25, 2010, 7:30:41 AM, Martin wrote:

MJD> What about:

MJD> Fragment Identifiers

MJD> For documents labeled as application/svg+xml, the fragment
MJD> identifier notation follows the XML Pointer Language (XPointer) 
MJD> Framework (see http://www.w3.org/TR/xptr-framework/). Fragment 
MJD> identifiers are either Shorthand Pointers (formerly called barenames) or
MJD> SVG view specifications. For details, please see Section 17.3.2 of the
MJD> SVG specification 
MJD> (http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/linking.html#SVGFragmentIdentifiers).

MJD> or some such. 

I looked into this. At first, I was going to normatively reference XPointer Framework as you suggested.

However, the SVG WG had made a decision not to reference XPointer (superceeded) and not to reference XPointer Framework either, partly because of concerns over the scope of the conformance criteria
http://www.w3.org/TR/xptr-framework/#conformance
and also because this is not in any case needed just to define barenames.

So I have added adapted wording:

    Fragment Identifiers

        For documents labeled as application/svg+xml, the 
        fragment identifier notation is either Shorthand Pointers
        (formerly called barenames) or the SVG-specific SVG Views
        syntax; 
        http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/linking.html#LinksIntoSVG
        both described in the fragment identifiers section of the 
        SVG specification.
        http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/linking.html#SVGFragmentIdentifiers

 >>> Published specification:

 >>> This media type registration is extracted from Appendix P of the
 >>> SVG 1.1 specification.
 >>> http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/mimereg.html

MJD> First, we made some tweaks, and second, the published specification is
MJD> all of SVG 1.1, not just the mimereg part, as far as I understand.

Also fixed; both Appendix P and the spec as a whole are separately referenced.

Published specification:

    This media type registration is extracted from Appendix P 
    http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/mimereg.html
    of the SVG 1.1 specification.
    http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/

-- 
 Chris Lilley   Technical Director, Interaction Domain                 
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead, Fonts Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG
 Member, CSS, WebFonts, SVG Working Groups

Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 15:52:24 +0100
From: Chris Lilley <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: Chris Lilley <[email-masked]>
Organization: W3C
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>, Philippe Le Hegaret <[email-masked]>
Subject: Registration of media typeimage/svg+xml
Sender: [email-masked]

Hello ,

This is an updated and final registration request, incorporating the latest round of feedback. Philippe, this is ready to go to the IESG now.

Type name:

    image

Subtype name:

    svg+xml

Required parameters:

    None.

Optional parameters:

    charset

    Same as application/xml media type, as specified in [RFC3023] or
    its successors.

Encoding considerations:

    Same as for application/xml. See [RFC3023], section 3.2 or its
    successors.

Security considerations:

    As with other XML types and as noted in [RFC3023] section 10,
    repeated expansion of maliciously constructed XML entities can be
    used to consume large amounts of memory, which may cause XML
    processors in constrained environments to fail.

    Several SVG elements may cause arbitrary URIs to be referenced. In
    this case, the security issues of [RFC3986], section 7, should be
    considered.

    In common with HTML, SVG documents may reference external media
    such as images, audio, video, style sheets, and scripting
    languages. Scripting languages are executable content. In this
    case, the security considerations in the Media Type registrations
    for those formats shall apply.

    In addition, because of the extensibility features for SVG and of
    XML in general, it is possible that "image/svg+xml" may describe
    content that has security implications beyond those described
    here. However, if the processor follows only the normative
    semantics of the published specification, this content will be
    outside the SVG namespace and shall be ignored. Only in the case
    where the processor recognizes and processes the additional
    content, or where further processing of that content is dispatched
    to other processors, would security issues potentially arise. And
    in that case, they would fall outside the domain of this
    registration document.

Interoperability considerations:

    The published specification describes processing semantics that
    dictate behavior that must be followed when dealing with, among
    other things, unrecognized elements and attributes, both in the
    SVG namespace and in other namespaces.

    Because SVG is extensible, conformant "image/svg+xml" processors
    must expect that content received is well-formed XML, but it
    cannot be guaranteed that the content is valid to a particular DTD
    or Schema or that the processor will recognize all of the elements
    and attributes in the document.

    SVG has a published Test Suite and associated implementation
    report showing which implementations passed which tests at the
    time of the report. This information is periodically updated as
    new tests are added or as implementations improve.

Published specification:

    This media type registration is extracted from Appendix P 
    http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/mimereg.html
    of the SVG 1.1 specification.
    http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/
    
Applications that use this media type:

    SVG is used by Web browsers, often in conjunction with HTML; by
    mobile phones and digital cameras, as a format for interchange of
    graphical assets in desk top publishing, for industrial process
    visualization, display signage, and many other applications which
    require scalable static or interactive graphical capability.

Additional information:

    Magic number(s):

    File extension(s):
        svg

        Note that the extension 'svgz' is used as an alias for
        'svg.gz' [RFC1952], i.e. octet streams of type image/svg+xml,
        subsequently compressed with gzip.

    Macintosh file type code(s):

        "svg " (all lowercase, with a space character as the fourth letter).

        Note that the Macintosh file type code 'svgz' (all lowercase)
        is used as an alias for GZIP [RFC1952] compressed "svg ", i.e.
        octet streams of type image/svg+xml, subsequently compressed
        with gzip.

    Macintosh Universal Type Identifier code:

        org.w3c.svg conforms to public.image and to public.xml

    Windows Clipboard Name:

        "SVG Image"

    Fragment Identifiers

        For documents labeled as application/svg+xml, the 
        fragment identifier notation is either Shorthand Pointers
        (formerly called barenames) or the SVG-specific SVG Views
        syntax; 
        http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/linking.html#LinksIntoSVG
        both described in the fragment identifiers section of the 
        SVG specification.
        http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/linking.html#SVGFragmentIdentifiers

Person & email address to contact for further information:

    Chris Lilley, Doug Schepers ([email-masked]).

Intended usage:

    COMMON

Restrictions on usage:

    None

Author:

    The SVG specification is a work product of the World Wide Web
    Consortium's SVG Working Group.

Change controller:

    The W3C has change control over this specification.

-- 
 Chris Lilley   Technical Director, Interaction Domain                 
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead, Fonts Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG
 Member, CSS, WebFonts, SVG Working Groups

From: [email-masked]
Cc: Ned Freed <[email-masked]>, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_J=2E_D=FCrst=22?= <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked], Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 11:25:47 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [ietf-types] Registration of media typeimage/svg+xml
To: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Sender: [email-masked]

> OK, is there anything left to do?

The only remaining issue, which came up afer I sent this, is the bit about
fragment ids. I'm happy with Martin's proposal change on that front, but
others may not be.

> Or is this already on the way to IANA?

This is a standards tree registration so it goes to the IESG, not IANA.

				Ned