Subject: [xml2rfc] two txt draft upload errors

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 17:36:52 -0700

when submitting the text resulting from the xml (v2, blush) at
https://git.rg.net/randy/draft-l3dl/src/master/draft-ietf-lsvr-l3dl.xml
i get two errors i do not understand

    Revision not found

when this is -08 and -07 is the expired previous

and i get

    Failed decoding the uploaded file: "'ascii' codec can't decode byte
    0xc3 in position 81426: ordinal not in range(128)"
    
which i believe to be about

    <CODE BEGINS>
    #include <stddef.h>
    #include <stdint.h>

    /* The F table from Skipjack, and it would work for the S-Box. */
    static const uint8_t sbox[256] = { 
    0xa3,0xd7,0x09,0x83,0xf8,0x48,0xf6,0xf4,0xb3,0x21,0x15,0x78,
    0x99,0xb1,0xaf,0xf9,0xe7,0x2d,0x4d,0x8a,0xce,0x4c,0xca,0x2e,
    0x52,0x95,0xd9,0x1e,0x4e,0x38,0x44,0x28,0x0a,0xdf,0x02,0xa0,
    0x17,0xf1,0x60,0x68,0x12,0xb7,0x7a,0xc3,0xe9,0xfa,0x3d,0x53,  <<--
    0x96,0x84,0x6b,0xba,0xf2,0x63,0x9a,0x19,0x7c,0xae,0xe5,0xf5,
    0xf7,0x16,0x6a,0xa2,0x39,0xb6,0x7b,0x0f,0xc1,0x93,0x81,0x1b,
    0xee,0xb4,0x1a,0xea,0xd0,0x91,0x2f,0xb8,0x55,0xb9,0xda,0x85,
    0x3f,0x41,0xbf,0xe0,0x5a,0x58,0x80,0x5f,0x66,0x0b,0xd8,0x90,

as it is the only 0xc3 in the document

a clue bat or two as to what i am doing wrongly would be appreciated

thanks

randy

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Oct 2021 23:28:08 -0400

>    0xc3 in position 81426: ordinal not in range(128)"

No, I think it is complaining about the second letter in Jörg Ott's
name.

This smells to me like a config error on a new server in which the
default character set is set to ASCII rather than UTF-8.

Dunno about Revision not found, though.

R's,
John

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 21:09:02 -0700

> No, I think it is complaining about the second letter in J�rg Ott's
> name.

<doh>  thanks.  it is Jörg Ott in the xml

but what is really weird is that, when i look at the .txt in less or
emacs on my mac, i see it expanded to Joerg

   comments, Joerg Ott for

> default character set is set to ASCII rather than UTF-8.

so i should try again and might get a different server.  nope, seems
reproducible.

> Dunno about Revision not found, though.

the moon is in klutz

randy

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 09:37:26 +0200

> emacs on my mac, i see it expanded to Joerg

The v2 processor in xml2rfc does that.
The .txt should not have beyond-ASCII in it, IIRC.

Why don’t you just submit the XML, BTW?

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 09:37:55 -0500

I don't see a submission for -08 in production. I'll work with Randy 
directly to find out what's happening.

RjS

On 10/14/21 2:37 AM, Carsten Bormann wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> xml2rfc mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xml2rfc

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 18:27:54 +0200

> The .txt should not have beyond-ASCII in it, IIRC.

It’s Urs Hölzle, coming in via the reference JUPITER.

   [JUPITER]  Singh, A., Ong, J., Agarwal, A., Anderson, G., Armistead,
              A., Bannon, R., Boving, S., Desai, G., Felderman, B.,
              Germano, P., Kanagala, A., Liu, H., Provost, J., Simmons,
              J., Tanda, E., Wanderer, J., Hölzle, U., Stuart, S., and
              A. Vahdat, "Jupiter rising: a decade of clos topologies
              and centralized control in Google's datacenter network",
              Communications of the ACM Vol. 59, pp. 88-97,
              DOI 10.1145/2975159, August 2016,
              <https://doi.org/10.1145/2975159>.

I didn’t know that the ASCIIfication in the xml2rfc v2 processing doesn’t apply to references.  Interesting historical tidbit.

I stick with:, though.

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 09:30:03 -0700

> It’s Urs Hölzle

it would be :)

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 09:49:12 -0700

> Why don’t you just submit the XML, BTW?

A submission with same name and revision is currently being
processed. Check the status here.

:)