Subject: [xmpp] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-moffitt-xmpp-over-websocket-01.txt

From: Jack Moffitt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 15:55:05 -0600

I've just updated and submitted a new draft.

The changes are fairly minor, mostly clarification of a few things
that were pointed out in the last draft and updated references.

Please let me know if you have any comments.

jack.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From:  <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 3:53 PM
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-moffitt-xmpp-over-websocket-01.txt
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

A new version of I-D, draft-moffitt-xmpp-over-websocket-01.txt
has been successfully submitted by Jack Moffitt and posted to the
IETF repository.

Filename:        draft-moffitt-xmpp-over-websocket
Revision:        01
Title:           An XMPP Sub-protocol for WebSocket
Creation date:   2012-06-25
WG ID:           Individual Submission
Number of pages: 12
URL:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-moffitt-xmpp-over-websocket-01.txt
Status:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-moffitt-xmpp-over-websocket
Htmlized:        http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-moffitt-xmpp-over-websocket-01
Diff:
http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-moffitt-xmpp-over-websocket-01

Abstract:
  This document defines a binding for the XMPP protocol over a
  WebSocket transport layer.  A WebSocket binding for XMPP provides
  higher performance than the current HTTP binding for XMPP.

The IETF Secretariat

---

From: Kim Alvefur <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 03:27:07 +0200

> that were pointed out in the last draft and updated references.

Great to see things moving again!

>TLS cannot be used in The XMPP sub-protocol because the sub-protocol
> does not allow for raw binary data to be sent.

This is no longer correct, you can now send binary data.  Not that it 
makes TLS over WS (over SSL) a good idea.   I expected a pointer 
towards wss instead.  Also applies to Security Considerations.

> Examples will be added as soon as the WebSocket protocol
> specification is more stable.

More stable than a published RFC? ;)

> If a registry is created for WebSocket sub-protocols, the xmpp sub-
> protocol will be registered.

There was.

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 21:31:45 -0600

On 6/26/12 7:27 PM, Kim Alvefur wrote:
> makes TLS over WS (over SSL) a good idea. 

Agreed.

>  I expected a pointer 

http://www.iana.org/assignments/websocket/websocket.xml

The registration policy is first come first served, so this sub-protocol
could be registered now if desired.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/